Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Logbook to Two Harbors, Catalina Island, Ca

Logbook to Two Harbors, Catalina Island, Ca

  • Port of Departure: Smugglers Cove, Santa Cruz Island, Channel Islands, Ca
  • Departure Date and Time: Sunday, July 19, 1750 PDT
  • Stops in Between: none
  • Port of Arrival:  Two Harbors, Catalina Island, Ca
  • Arrival Date and Time:  Monday, July 20, 1420 PDT
  • Total Travel Time: 16.5 hours
  • Miles Traveled: 69 nm
    • Sails a' soaring: 41 nm
    • Engine a' roaring: 28 nm
  • Engine Hours:  8.4
  • Average Speed:  4.2 kts
  • Forecast:  predicted mixed winds to be 0-5 kts, increasing to 5-10 kts with squally conditions often changing wind direction and occasional storm winds / gusts to 20.  We had a dying swell from Enrique from the South.   
  • Navigation Notes:  We left early enough, Sunday night, so that we could ensure a daytime arrival in Two Harbors.  We had planned on arriving by early morning.  And had we experienced the normal southern California wind patterns we would've blown  straight down our SE course to Catalina.  But Dolores had other plans.  Instead what we got was tropical sailing conditions.  We raised and dropped sails throughout the night and by morning we were plowing through very long period (read: smooth) swell of 8-10'.  You can judge swell however you'd like, I know we 4' of freeboard, another 2-3' from our raised center cockpit, and then me sitting down adds another 2-3' at eye level, and I was easily losing sight of the horizon. 
  • Maintenance Notes:  Nothing of note
  • Personal notes:
    • Chris:  we're getting more used to planning more time to get to places and this worked out well for us this trip.  We chose to leave at sunset knowing that meant a long nighttime sail, but it worked out well as we sailed most of the way and really only used the engine to get around the west end of Catalina and into Two Harbors.  Having never been to Two Harbors, or even a mooring ball on our boat, we were anxious but, with Monica at the helm, we maneuvered wonderfully down a tight fairway and right into between two other boats to grab our ball and connect up.  Very impressed by my admiral, good job babe!
    • Monica:  The idea of leaving at 8pm was a little more then I was willing to handle.  Based on our track record everything had taken longer then we thought so I pushed and we ended up leaving 6pm and were able to get in a few hours of sailing before we had a pitch black night.  Again, I thought I would start crying when Chris grab the mooring rod and hooked SeaGlub up.  We were finally going to be safe and secure for a few days!  Time for a Buffalo Milk...whatever that means!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good Job and building Confidence always takes experience