Thursday, July 30, 2015

Newport knuckleheads

After motoring over from Catalina to ensure a daytime arrival early enough on Friday to avoid anchoring crowds, we dropped and set the hook in 15 feet into San Francisco-esque mud/clay.  Fortress set right away and we put out 75 of total rode.  Mind you this isn't the largest anchorage but there were only 2 other boats plenty far away.  We suspected there'd be more over the weekend but the madness which ensued was comical.  I've been told by much more experienced sailors that some of their best days were when they were already anchored and then getting to watch everyone else.  This was our chance to experience just that, although it came with some apprehension as the proximity with which others would drop their anchor was nerve racking, not mention they were putting out maaaaaybe 2x scope.  We had multi million dollar motor boats setting right on top of us, we had boats coming in which barely float dropping anchor under sail and not backing down, we even watched a Newport knucklehead drag his wave runner backwards, submerge it several times, and completely flood the engine!  Just a crack up.

As a sidenote, Newport has several public docks you can tie dinghies up to, the edges of the docks are painted for different time zones, you can leave the dinghy there up 72 hours.  Here's the map of where the public docks are:

The highlight of the stay was definitely all the visits from friends and family.  Started with revisiting the place where Monica and I met, The American Legion Post on 15th Street.  BBQing, cocktails and a little playing on the beach with nephew Mason.
Mason Richter, pretty cool little guy and very well mannered. 
Our first full day there was Saturday, and maybe a good thing we were so busy hanging out with people because we didn't have to see all the knuckleheads doing there thing until we were on the boat more on Sunday.  Oh ya, another side note, Newport asks that if you anchor you stay for no more than 5 days and that you not leave your boat for more than a 2-3 hours.  At first this bothered us some, than as we watched the knuckleheads, we understood the policy.  Anyhow, back to fam and friends good times....

Dad and Sarah took time out to come have dinner and watch the sunset.  Sarah found that she could still keep in touch with her daughter (if she would answer) even on the boat in the middle of the water.  Pops found himself right at home on stern seats

We of course made our way over to Minney's, the Sanford and Son of boat supply stores, but always good for a treasure or two, including for the teak colored crew of Seaglub

We got the hammocks out, and met new friends B'Shert, Ann and Michael who shared our viewing entertainment of the knuckleheads.

B'Shert, a Tayana 42, Ann and Michael
After getting cited for driving Tipsea around with no registration (actually the officer was really understanding and let us go with just fix it ticket - thank goodness no breathalyzer!) we then had an officer board us!  Sorta, he was my best friend from high school and for many more years, now successful family man and fire department officer for Newport Beach.  

Officer Boyles!

Officer on deck!
 And of course our second family visited us for a full beach day including surfing and then swimming back at the boat followed with a dinner at the good ol' Spaghetti Factory!  All kinds of fun...

One big happy family

Two ice creams?!  Looks like Dad realized his is missing.  At least you're wearing a cool t-shirt!

Cotton candy kid cocktail

Sunset over Lido Island